Wednesday 23 February 2011

Elegance in Black and White

The 21st we went to in the weekend, had a 1920-30's theme and Josephine, the birthday girl, looked lovely in an old cream suit.  I decided to make an elegant and simple card to celebrate.
21st Birthday

My daughter had given me all the scraps from her wedding invitations.... long strips of the brocade patterned paper and the metallic papers in blacks and greys.  Plus some black and white patterned fabric.  I stuck the fabric to some card and cut out the flower petals from a Tim Holtz die.  Added the Prima flower and pearl to make my own embellishment.  Layered the rest of the card and stamped the sentiment from Stamp-it and added the 21 cut from a CB alpha die.   I finished with the little silver oval ( a left over piece from cutting out a bird cage die) and added the pearls to it.  All in all, I felt the card meet my expectations.

I would also like to thank everyone for their concerns and thoughts via emails, comments, Tweets and Facebook.  Here in Auckland we are very safe and sound, but in Christchurch things are very grim.  The death toll is rising and there are still many people with no where to sleep again tonight.   One sees devastating earthquakes on the TV in other parts of the world, but when it is in your own backyard ( so to speak) it hits home a bit.  Here in Auckland we live amongst 49 volcanoes.... none active at present... but it makes you think a bit.  I'm going to be getting a survival kit set up now.

Thanks for stopping by.

5 comments:

Pajalu said...

Dawn your card is a stunner. Very elegant. I am also very glad that you are ok. That survival kit sounds like a great idea. Sending you lots of hugs hun xoxoxoxoxoxo

Barb said...

I think a survival kit is a smart idea, Dawn. One never knows. . . .Love this elegant card! So pretty with all the beautiful wedding scraps! Take care, my friend! Sending hugs once again. . .

Nancy said...

Hi Dawn, your card is sheer elegance...so perfect for the birthday theme!
We keep a closet stocked with water and essentials in case the Big One hits California as has been predicted for years. It doesn't hurt to be prepared for what you hope won't happen.
Thinking of you, so grateful that you are safe.
blessings~

Suzanne C said...

Was thinking o fyou and glad to know you are safe. So sad about the major earthquake. This is a very elegant card and very beautiful! Great use of scraps.

Tiffany Ervin said...

Beautiful! Black and white will be a forever classic color combo! Love this!