Monday 31 March 2014

Southern Adventure - Part 4

sorry for not being a good blogger... life has been very busy.  Work has been full on coming up to the end of financial year.  Plus we headed off to Mangawhai for the weekend.

Anyway I thought I'd share the second week of our holiday.  We travelled up the South Island over four days.


We visited the Moeraki Boulders, went to the Whitestone Cheese factory in Omarau, stopped off at the dam at Avemore on the Waitaki River.  Our first night was at Lake Tekapo.  Next day we travel up to Hamner Springs, stopping off for wine tasting at Waipara Hills Winery.  Enjoyed a good soak in the hot pools at Hamner.  The following day, we travelled over the Lewis Pass to Greymouth.  The pass is full of amazing scenery.  We stopped at the site of the Brunner Mine (old coal mine)  and called into Blackball and had a drink at the "Formerly Known as the Blackball Hilton".  After Greymouth, we headed north to Westport, stopping to visit the Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki
Next morning we travel the Buller Gorge to Nelson.  Of course we had to try out the swing bridge over the gorge.  It's the longest swing bridge in NZ.  Nelson is a pretty town and on our last morning we headed about 3/4 hour out of Nelson to amazing golden sands beach at Kaiteriteri.  This is a place I want to come back to sometime. 

I have to say that our two weeks in the South Island was an incredible trip.  The visit to where I grew up, visit to some places I'd never been to and visits to some old favourites. 

Thanks for sharing me my journey with me.  I hope you enjoyed.


4 comments:

Monika Reeck said...

Lovely Photos nice mix of blue and green and I miss your card dear Dawn..hope you are doing well...big hugs from Germany...Monika

joy said...

Thanks for sharing your photos, Dawn. I can see you enjoyed your vacation and now you have great memories to treasure.

kiwimeskreations said...

Kaiteretere is fabulous - I would love to go back there too - sounds as though you had a wonderful trip Dawn, with lots of memories.
Blessings
Maxine

Greta said...

Wonderful collage! Sounds like a fabulous vacation, Dawn!