Saturday 23 May 2015

Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis)

This is a technique I saw in a magazine and have wanted to try for a while... and this cold, wet and dark Saturday seemed like just the right time to get a bit inky....


This uses lots of inky goodness - Distress inks in Mustard Seed, Mowed Lawn, Salty Ocean and Picked Raspberry, Chipped Sapphire and Black Soot.  My silhouette stamp is from a set by Sheena Douglas as is the sentiment.

As I child I lived down the south of the South Island and often we saw the Aurora Australis (know as the Southern Lights) and the colours were amazing.  I now live too far north to get a view of these.

I am entering this into the latest challenge at City Crafter Challenge - Inky-nes"S",  I certainly got a little messy with this one!  Need a bit more practise but not bad for the first go.

Hope it's warmer and drier where you live.  This is our first wintery storm so far.

11 comments:

Virginia L. said...

This is absolutely COOL, Dawn! You have used the technique splendidly! Love the Northern light and it does look like a painting! Love it!

Greta said...

Beautiful inking, Dawn! I've always wanted to see the Northern Lights.

Kim Hall said...

WOW this technique is simply gorgeous, stunning card
Dawn!!

Ros Crawford said...

This is a fabulous card!! Thanks so much for playing along at CCCB!!

alexandra s.m. said...

What a gorgeous card!
You have captured the Aurora Australis so perfectly!
Thank You~

Kirsty Vittetoe said...

Awesome design, thanks for sharing with us at CCCB!

kiwimeskreations said...

Stunning card Dawn - and yes, the weekend was a good one for getting inky - not that I did, I hid my (suffering) nose in a book. (I had a skin cancer removed on Friday)
Blessings
Maxine

Stella said...

Such a lovely card. Thanks so much for joining us at CCCB this week!

Shawna said...

You have got to kidding me how awesomely gorgeous this card is Dawn.. I saw it and it seriously took my breath away.. No joke! What a wonderful work of art and I am sure the recipient will be smiling from ear-to-ear when they get this in the mail... So dreamy and just absolutely wonderful!!

Monika Reeck said...

So adorable Background you made
looks like so many little star that white dots...
Awesome card Dawn..hugs, Monika

Robert said...

Wonderful blog. Northern lights looks amazing. Alaska is the best place for spending vacations and seeing northern lights.
Alaska northern lights tours